6.29.2010

Design Evolution

Every design develops from a process, involving research, brainstorming, and trial and error. To me one of the most interesting design evolutions is that of brand identity. It always fascinates me to see where a logo started and how it has evolved over the years in order to conform to trends, style, and the growth of its brand or company. However, not all logos change over time, there are some logos that will forever remain classic (such as Coca Cola). While there is controversy in the design world debating whether or not brand reformation is beneficial and ethical, my opinion is that it depends greatly on the unique situation and brand. Some of the most well known examples of logo evolutions are shown below. However, some of these evolutions have many more steps than what I am showing. One of my favorite examples of brand development is from my alma mater, Penn State. When the new lion illustration was introduced in 2001 the majority of Penn State fans, students and alumni were not pleased. This failed attempt at a logo change resulted in Penn State going back to their logo roots four years later in 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment